Established in 1925 by Roy Bayley Russell, Russell Transport Pty Ltd has been successfully operating in Queensland for more than 80 years. When the business first launched, our initial contract concerned the distribution of motor spirit for Dalgety & Co, who had just been appointed the Queensland agent for the Commonwealth Oil Refineries.
By 1930, our fleet had expanded to include three trucks, based in a warehouse on New Farm Wharf. We carried out deliveries to Chermside in the north, Mt Gravatt in the south and to Moorooka.
Further expansion over the next 20 years saw our fleet grow to 12 trucks, with our cargo including wool as well as motor spirit. As the business continued to flourish, we purchased land in Macquarie Street, New Farm, constructing a specialised workshop to service our fleet.
By 1965, we’d added an office and a whole new yard to accommodate our now 20-strong fleet. In 1970, we purchased land in Fison Avenue, Eagle Farm, relocating in 1971 with 19 trucks, 3 semi-trailers, two cranes and 17 employees.
At the age of 70, Roy passed the daily running of the business to his son, Philip, although he continued to provide valued advice and assistance well into his 80s.
Since the 1970s, Russell Transport has continually thrived, branching out into new areas like mobile crane hire. We also now hold a number of industrial properties in South East Queensland, while the original site at Eagle Farm has been expanded to include adjoining properties, and is still used as the Russell Group's head office.
The Russell group of companies now consists of Russell Transport, Metro-Lift Cranes, Caloundra General Transport, Russell Properties Management, Bayley Industrial and Lytton Industrial. Through these complimentary businesses, we can deliver a diverse range of logistics services including: transport, storage and mobile crane hire.